Age of Empires 4: Roadmap shows what’s next at the end
AoE 4 roadmap has been announced. Players were informed about the updates and which improvements are coming.
Age of Empires 4 uses a seasonal model for its ranked multiplayer mode; This model should regularly offer players new content and rewards as they successfully compete in the rankings. However, after a relatively successful debut, the multiplayer game has recently lost many players who were annoyed by the only slow implementation of community feedback and the persistence of balance issues for months.
The latest announcement can certainly be seen as a reaction to this development: The developers are providing a roadmap for the next four months and want to give the community more precise information on their future update strategy. We have summarized the most important information for you.
The roadmap initially only covers the period from February to July 2022.
AoE 4 Roadmap: Seaon 1
Season 1 focuses on useful additional features and community content and brings the following improvements:
- Content editor and mods: The editor will not be presented in detail yet, it will probably allow you to create your own scenarios and above all maps.
- 1v1 ranked mod: This mod was tested in January and still needs some tweaking. Allows you to climb the rankings and earn rewards at the end of the season.
- Shortcut improvements: You will be able to assign new hotkeys in the Settings menu. You can also assign more keys as hotkeys, including mouse keys, for example mouse 3, 4 and 5.
- Quality of Life improvements: Among other things, there should be a global construction queue and patrol command for units. You can also view the entire map after a match.
- Balance Changes: Abbasid Dynasty, China and Holy Roman Empire will be adjusted.
Initially, it was said that even own game modes would be possible.
AoE 4 Roadmap: Seaon 2
Nearly three months later, Season 2 brings other changes that are still in an earlier stage of development and therefore not yet as detailed as the first season:
- Ranked Mode: Adjustments and improvements for Ranked mode
- Fully customizable keyboard controls: Season 1 starts here: Then you can completely customize the keyboard layout to your liking.
- Voting on Maps: Season 1 ranked matches will start with a fixed selection of maps. In Season 2, the players should have more say here through voting. More details are probably not planned yet.
- Color selection: Many players want to be able to freely choose a color. This feature should come in the second season.
- The developers are yet to talk about possible expansions for Age of Empires 4.